Contrast that with Zappos. Zappos really faces numeric fear head on: they put call center stats on the wall where even silly tourists can see them! And then, when the tourists can see them, the guide stops and points at the darned thing. Oh no!
No fear here. The Zappos folks are excited about their numbers.
Be sure to click on the photo to see the full sized version.
I think that putting a chart like this on the wall sends several messages:
- We're doing important stuff
- Improve these numbers and our business will improve
- Everyone is an active participants in the success of the business
- We won't be embarrassed if the numbers aren't perfect (check out the photo -- they answered phones faster last year)
- We're not so serious that we have to write "December" in one color
Put your numbers on the wall, tape some flowers on the top, and start building your business. Be sure to take the Zappos Insights tour next time you're in Las Vegas too. It shocked me how fun and inspiring it was!